View Single Post
Old March 10, 2011, 05:26 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: IVA Richards

I have also one observation that I do not understand. There are periods in the cricket game where you see that the batsman are at complete ease in what they are doing. They work on a particular game plan and you get the sure feeling that if the batsman does not do anything stupid he just can not get out.

But in our game or maybe in Kenya's game you see that, no matter what the pitch condition is or the situation of the game is, we seem to be always at risk. Even when we are blocking it seems that the shot was risky because it was predetermined. We can be on top of a game by hitting the ball all around the park but the comfort is something I never see in our innings. Why is it that our batsman are never comfortable?

Is this observation false and is due to my over anxiousness during the game or can it be that psychologically our batsman's are always self conscious and the game always has something to do with their self esteem which in its natural position is quite low. Therefore the response as redemption is always irrational to either finish the game in 25 overs or preserve the wicket (Ego) thinking it will go on for 100 overs. Our players are not playing for the game or the team it is always about them. Tamim or Shakib both have a high level of self esteem, therefore you find them playing a rational game but for others when the team needs them to deliver in a particular game situation, they are more worried about the outcome on their Ego than the outcome of the game.

I dont want to sound complaining because complaint does not help much but I am trying to de construct our failure. I have observed in this world cup that almost every single time the spectators, sparked by some hope united behind our batsman and started screaming Bangladesh in unison, we lost a wicket. It seems that direct support does not spur our batsman to do more but it fuels their Ego into believing that they can now blast their way out of this game and they lose their wicket trying that.

Is this a valid observation or my cynical mind is at work?

Regards,

Hasib