Thread: Pybus Issues
View Single Post
Old October 18, 2012, 05:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
There are possibly two things that might work against RM

1. He hasn't even played first-class cricket and many boards would not entertain a coach, however worthy, with the full reins of a Test side that has not played the game to a professional level.

and then,

2. He is a terrific development coach and this means replacing him should he not do that role any more

It puts RM in a tough situation but the fact that the President is even talking about replacing RP is a worry tbh. Something must have gone very wrong.

I think RM could step up and try the role, but I am uncertain if the BCB would 'gamble' (no offence RM) in this way bearing in mind how long they took and the criteria they set in place for finding a replacement for Stuart Law.

The simplest way might be to re-contact the brilliant Mick Newell...
Ian,
Do you think the return on investment as a coach at the academy level is much higher and faster than the international level? What I mean by that is, most cricketers that come to the international stage are somewhat groomed, not an empty cup one might say. Tweaking their skills may be harder and a slowly process and improvement may not show appear overnight. Whereas, academy players are somewhat raw with an open mind that can be tweaked easily though with a lot of effort. If that's true; then success as a coach at the academy level definitely can be achieved much more easily than at the international level. With that in mind, judging RM by his previous success in Bangladesh could be a mistake. I know RM has done tremendous job in the past; with his intent to do well and his previous record, my heart says he will be a good coach but my brain says otherwise.
What say you?