View Single Post
Old July 2, 2011, 10:48 PM
Cricket Savant

Shob e borat was one of my favorite days when I was a kid. I still remember gathering with the local kids with tarabati, light them along with some elder bhais who would 'potka futato' during evening. Then we would come home, perform ablution and pray. They used to make haluas, ruti.. I would target praying 100 rakahs nafl namaz as 'they' used to say that whatever you wished for you would get it on that night...after all it was a night of 'borat' or luck[?]...but most of the times I'd get sleepy after like 30 or fewer rakahs. I'd wish for such silly things like getting all the Betal comics, or video game (it was Atari time then) or be 'first' in class. It was a peaceful night and the 'boma potka futano' was a festive thing.

Alas! As soon as I went abroad, it was apparently revealed that in fact it's 'haram'. Holier than thou muslims in South Africa (mind you the same country that harbored Pagads) would snicker and say that they never heard of it. Oh well...now at an adult age, no longer following any 'official' religion, I don't care but this special day surely some great childhood memories especially it was kinda like 'genie of the lamp' because whatever you wished for you could get it.

Thought would share the memories. Do not want to get into debate of rights or wrongs of the celebration. In fact far better thread would Borat and other Sasha Baron Cohen's "innovations".