View Single Post
Old June 14, 2013, 09:39 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
we have a few around atm with herath, vettori, jadeja, rehman, shakib etc but who is the best of all time? and, has there ever really been a truly great left arm spinner?

at current, with herath improving every year, if he can keep his average under 20 and his strike rate under 65 then he's got a good chance of claiming the title of greatest left arm spinner all time to-date. he's currently 4th all time on the wickets list (surprise surprise vettori is the clear leader in that department), depending on how much longer he plays (as he's already 35) he could pass bedi, and possibly pass underwood (though he'd probably have to play near to 40 to surpass underwood).
I think Razzak deserves a mention too in the list that includes Jadeja and Rehman.

I think Vettori with 360 wickets is the greatest test SLA of all time to date. Its even more fascinating because he played most of his games in fast NZ pitches, unlike slow low subcontinental pitches.

For ODI, I think it will be close between Vettori (283) and Razzak (201). Shakib is catching up (161) while Herath is at 33 wickets, with 42 average.

Finally, Herath is a very good test bowler (200 wickets) but far from being the 'greatest of all time'. Not only him, but anyone who can keep their average under 20 and SR under 65 for a long time will be great. He is 35 and at max will play 2-3 years. With 200 test and 33 ODI wickets now, he won't even to catch Vettori in Test or even Razzak and Shakib in ODIs.