View Single Post
Old June 14, 2013, 09:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
I think Razzak deserves a mention too in the list that includes Jadeja and Rehman.

I think Vettori with 360 wickets is the greatest test SLA of all time to date. Its even more fascinating because he played most of his games in fast NZ pitches, unlike slow low subcontinental pitches.

For ODI, I think it will be close between Vettori (283) and Razzak (201). Shakib is catching up (161) while Herath is at 33 wickets, with 42 average.

Finally, Herath is a very good test bowler (200 wickets) but far from being the 'greatest of all time'. Not only him, but anyone who can keep their average under 20 and SR under 65 for a long time will be great. He is 35 and at max will play 2-3 years. With 200 test and 33 ODI wickets now, he won't even to catch Vettori in Test or even Razzak and Shakib in ODIs.
typo with the 20 there, actually meant 30. as far as razzak that's a valid point but tbh i was talking tests. test matches are the real test for any player so fair enough razzak can be mentioned for ODIs but his name shouldn't come up ever when it comes to tests and imo to be a true ATG you have to be a great test match bowler.

also if you look up stats not many SLA's have strike rates of under 65, and not many average under 30 (and none to my knowledge who've done that on covered pitches) so to have both of those combined does put herath up there in the top echelon of SLA bowlers who have ever played the game.