View Single Post
Old December 15, 2011, 11:36 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
I guess you are saying that we need a poor man's Mahatir Mohammad. That is not a bad wish and might even happen one day. But, for today, I would like to focus on practical, feasible ideas. Something we can do, irrespective of who is in power or what the situation is. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a step. I want each of us to take one step. At least.

As I already said, I am unwilling to take no for an answer. Let us come up with some doable ideas and implement them. Don't worry. They don't have to be big.
What ATMR's describing is a poor man's Mao Zedong. Raise an army, defeat the warlords, unite the country and rule with an iron fist. There may be mistakes (great leap forward, etc), there might be foreign external pressure and posterity may paint him as a monster but he would have left the country in a more stable condition, ripe for 'opening up' economically - as Deng Xiaoping started to do after Mao - and maybe the advent of democracy.

Shuziburo bhai/uncle, you've asked for suggestions which can make small, realistic changes. As a law student, the first ideas that come to mind relate to an overhaul of the legal system. It can begin with relatively small improvements - better law reporting, encouraging more in-depth legal research in the country and establishing quality legal academic journals. In the US and UK, Law Reviews have a profound impact on the teaching of law and, in some exceptional cases, on actual judgments and judicial deliberations as well. It can also act as a forum for discussion and debate on contentious legal topics, which will eventually spill over into the public domain and catch the attention of law makers. (Of course, for the latter to happen, our government and opposition law-makers would have to spend more time legislating rather than boycotting or going on interminable recesses....)

High quality legal scholarship and debate helps keep the law current and dynamic and addresses some of its lacunae. Just look at how Roe v Wade is constantly discussed in the US, despite the number of years that have elapsed since that judgment was handed down. In the UK, the same is happening with the Human Rights Act 1998. But how many in Bangladesh discuss how outdated our Penal Codes and our laws of evidence are?

Such improvements are essential for our progress. Unfortunately most of our Advocates and Barristers become embroiled in politics.