View Single Post
Old March 16, 2008, 04:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Mohammad Isam remembers Rana.

Quote:
Missing the caring Rana
Mohammad Isam

As an all-rounder, Manzarul Islam Rana had the rare ability to win matches for be it the national side, a club or his divisional team. Being the match-winner is the ultimate tag for a cricketer but Rana's speciality was not just his abilities as a left-arm spinner, useful batsman, agile fielder or a good strategist but his humane sides beyond the game that made him stand apart.

We all get sad when we see that a caring soul like him is not around with us any more. It's a void that always haunt us when great souls die and we remember them not just as a performer.

Being a left-arm spinner this reporter has always idolised the soft-spoken man from Khulna and it is still fresh in my memory about his strong recollection of events.

"You got me twice in two seasons, didn't you?" he asked me after I had trapped him leg-before during a Corporate League match in Fatullah. As I struggled to find good areas to bowl at my first division side's nets a few months later, he would ask me to bowl slower and that I should always work on finishing my follow-through.

Just two days before his death, he wanted to take me and a few other teammates for a walk around the lake to calm us down after our fifth successive loss but later we decided to have tea outside the Dhanmondi ground ...

DS LINK, READ MORE
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)