View Single Post
Old December 11, 2012, 03:47 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
We lack good pace bowlers. You can win matches with the spinners if the condition suits. But if you want to win matches regularly in all conditions then you will need good pace bowlers.

This is true for test cricket. This is true for ODI and T20I as well. Spinners are not good death over bowlers if the conditions doesn't suit them. Most of the good death over bowlers are pacers. You need to have good yorkers and reverse swingers to take wickets and stop the death over slogging by the batsmen.

Unless we find some good pacers and mature them before the upcoming world cup, I don't see much hope for having a good show in the world cup.
I agree with you on the need to find Pace prospects in order perform well abroad. We should start the process of finding and developing good pacers now so that they are ready for the challenge in 2015.

If you look at history of both India and Sri Lanka, they both started out being a batting powerhouse at home with heavy dependence on spinners. I think we are reaching the same stage as Ranatunga's side couple of years before the world-cup win in 96. While we still don't have the champion batters like De Silva, Ranatunga, there is no doubt that within the likes of Mushfiq, Ryad, Nasir, Shakib, Anamul and Tamim we do have a very good group of emerging talents. There is also a strong possibility that none of them have reached their full potential yet but perhaps 2015 will be that time when everything falls into place.