View Single Post
Old December 11, 2012, 05:58 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
india have done well for many many years with poor pacers. mash, rubel and nazmul should be solid enough. now for BD batsmen facing pace, well WI still has some pretty good pacers in roach and rampaul and BD still won so they might not be as strong against pace as other teams but they still pulled out the series win and don't forget narine is quite a good ODI bowler so the fact that BD could pull out a 5 match series win against an attack with quality pace and quality spin suggest they're quite decent. i realise it's home conditions but that's all we have to judge on from this series, let's not make assumptions for other conditions yet.
Finally someone was willing to step up at last!! , anyway to be honest i think most of the points you raised are misguided, Rampaul only played in three of the games and has been injured for most of this tour, so facing him was hardly the biggest test yet still he got a 4fer, and when you faced Roach in the last two games he was having a ball, infact he got a 5fer in the last odi, just because Bangla eventually won it doesn't mean their batsmen done well against pace because one bowler can't win the game on his own, he needs support and apart from Narine no-one stepped up in the last match, the tests told it's own story when our reserve pacers (Edwards and Best) ran through the bang batting line up at will,

Quote:
as far as not being full strength. johnson charles averages 19 with a strike rate of 68 in 8 ODI innings and his list A stats are similar just he's played more matches, so you can hardly boast that him being in the team makes it any more full strength than it was. ramdin averages a bit better than thomas but still he's not a match changer with 3 half centuries in 71 ODI innings at a strike rate of 75 and averaging 20. dwayne bravo is the bigger loss but who would he have replaced? smith, pollard or simmons probably. simmons has a much better batting average, whilst pollard and smith have similar batting averages but slightly poorer bowling averages. so i reckon you could argue that dwayne bravo being there could have made the team slightly stronger but he still only has a batting average of 24, might have added slightly with the ball. but to say the team isn't full strength, it pretty much is bar maybe one player who may or may not have performed at a better output than the players he could have played in place of.
Johnson is just starting his career, he's showed flashes of class vs England, Australia and NZ, plus he'd been settled into the opening partnership with Gayle, Ramdin has also been a revelation over the past year and got a ton in the tests, while Dwayne's record cannot be argued, ALL THREE were part of our odi victory 4-1 against NZ, therefore that was our strongest team going into the Bangladesh series,

Quote:
also shakib was missing all series and WI couldn't pull out the series win so they lost to an under strength BD team. plus i'm sure shakib's contribution would have been greater or at least equal to dwayne bravo's.
I've never argued about Shakib missing, but the bangla fan seem to be obsessed with this notion that they "beat a full strength wi" when you've openly admitted that they didn't!!, also yesterday when i mentioned that we beat Bangla EASILY yesterday with half a reserve side people started to complain!!!..i don't know why because again i was telling the truth!! .