View Single Post
Old August 21, 2005, 05:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
ekaturer: curious about the exact 801 count you just gave - not becase i doubt it but these numbers are hard to know for sure. the source of this data would be good to know.
"...The present government has miserably failed in ensuring security and protection to its nationals and also to visitors. I am one of the victims of such lawlessness. I was ready to visit Bangladesh to present a paper at an International Conference in its capital Dhaka in the 1st week of January 2005. But repeated death and bomb threats did not allow me to participate. We had to take those threats seriously as a total of 801 persons have been killed and 4,613 have been wounded in Bangladesh in recent years; either by bomb blasts or by torture .

Most unfortunate, since the new government of Khaleda Zia assumed power none of the cases has been investigated properly. Only one bomb blast that killed 10 people and wounded 150 at a cultural event was investigated by the previous government and 7 people were charge sheeted. However, to our dismay, the present government dropped those charges and allowed all the perpetrators to go free. In addition, all pending investigation cases have been dropped. Under the present government, 66% were killed through extra judicial process and 80% were injured or maimed through torture by the government agencies such as RAB, Police, or/and Para military forces. The government falsely claimed that 57 people ages 22 to 57, died of 'heart attack' under its custody [most of whom had no prior heart problem] and 329 were killed by RAB, a special police battalion in 'crossfire'. In spite of so many extra judicial killings, in 2004, murder has increased in Bangladesh by 98%, acid throwing by 68% and rape by 42%. Many young girls were raped as they belonged to Opposition Parties or Minority communities. During the last 4 years there have been a total of 44 bomb blasts and grenade attacks mostly directed against Opposition Party Rallies; 17 against political rallies, 13 against Cultural events/Cinema halls, 6 against religious institutions, and 2 each against NGOs and press offices. Nearly 112 journalists and reporters have been attacked, more than 4 killed. Immediately after the takeover by Zia government in October 2001, it let loose a massacre against minority community mostly Hindus and against the main opposition party, the Awami League (AL). When intellectuals, columnists and political leaders started raising voice against such killings and cleansing, many were attacked and killed..."

http://www.drishtipat.org/modules.ph...rticle&sid=198