View Single Post
Old July 1, 2013, 04:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
Jeesh bhai, comparing Kenya to Ireland is like comparing an apple to an orange. Consider the financial positions of the 2 countries. I don't like to get down on Kenya like this but they are a much poorer country and that did them in unfortunately. The mismanagement of their talent base has been their downfall unfortunately. Maybe giving them the Test status could have saved them because they can't survive on their own, they needed help which they couldn't get. Even though we talk about getting the Test status too early, I feel in some ways our cricket has benefitted from it. I really doubt that we would have been able to be this good being an associate. Developing countries like Bangladesh, Kenya and Zimbabwe need all the help they can get financially.

Also don't forget they have a very good sporting culture, much better than the subcontinental countries. So if they can be successful in other sports then why not cricket?

That being said, there will be concerns of Ireland's ceiling. They are a country of about only 6 million and on top of that cricket is probably their 4th or 5th sport. I have my doubts that cricket will ever be #1 in Ireland. It reminds me of another team, New Zealand. If we can get another NZ type team though, it would be very good for cricket as they usually do very well in ICC tournament. And as a Test side, I don't know how high Ireland can go in the standings but I see them being a decent side
similar to NZ but they've got county cricket at their disposal which should give them an advantage.