View Single Post
Old October 19, 2012, 10:27 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivfan
The thing is, WIndieFan and the WICB are big fans of Powell, even though he has a Test batting average of just 25....

So, his name will be one of the first pencilled in. IMHO, Powell needs to do a lot more than score one Test century to earn his place in the side. Adrian Barath scored a Test century, and he's declined to be out of the reckoning. Yes, Powell scored a Test against a weak Kiwi side, but I'm not convinced that he's the long-term solution to finding an opening partner who can actually stick with Gayle.

The problem with Dwayne Bravo is that he hardly ever plays any four-day cricket these days, so has done little to earn a recall to the Test side, even though he's a fixture in the limited overs version. But if he's making more money as a T20 player than he ever did as a Test player, I suppose the question is, why should he?
Erm i guess you haven't heard of young players developing AND improving right? lets remember Powell scored a ton in England against England Lions, then came back to the caribbean and scored a big ton against India-A AND THEN went and scored another big ton against NZ, so what more could he have done exactly? the fact is you might think NZ are a "weak" team but Gayle barely done better against them than Powell did, which is why he will rightly keep his place and i fully expect him to do well in this tour.

And in closing Barath scored a ton on his debut and then went downhill, while Powell started off bad and is now improving, so comparing them is a little naive imo.