View Single Post
Old September 13, 2011, 07:27 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Well said, except the last part. Israel is building wall on Palestine territory, that's the reason for outcry and legal steps. US has built and are building barbed wire fence along Mexico border, there is no outcry withnthat. Infact I don't understand why people are making our one a big issue. I'm rather happy that India is building it at their cost. An open border is damaging our economy much more than them. Because all we get is fencidyle, drugs, weapons, contaminated food from the other side illegally, while our imported items are going into their side. We are double looser since those are bought by our FC and the criminals take refuse across the border easily. People's movement is least. If all the border is blocked by fence and only legal entries are open, we will benefit economically, socially, security wise etc etc in many ways. So the fence along BD - Ind border is basically of our interest. Only our kalobazaris will lose business, is that bad?
In my original post I did mention that the Palestinian territory was disputed but the point being is a) the construction of a wall is a hostile gesture and b) is unlikely to be effective in achieving its purpose. You'll notice how the trade of narcotics and illegal immigration continues to be a problem at the US-Mexico Border and the construction of a wall has only made smugglers/traffickers more devious. It's also unsurprising that now, the area near the border, Northern Mexico, has become the most dangerous place in the country with considerable gang/drug cartel crime. (Ref: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-13723991) Instead of being a long term solution to these issues, this stop-gap measure only serves to appease right wing political elements concerned about 'filthy immigrants taking our jobs'.

I believe the repercussions of the India-Bangladesh wall will be similar. I'm certain the illegal products - "fencidyle, drugs, weapons, contaminated food" and trafficked humans will continue to be transported across the large border but the process will just become a bit more complicated. It does lip-service to the concerns of the BJP but sours Indo-Bangladesh relations.

Cooperation and innovative solutions implemented through a joint effort is what is required to tackle the issues you mention. Just building a wall will not go to the root of the problem, much less erase it.