View Single Post
Old November 15, 2013, 07:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
^erm this is WI we're talking about...even if Chanderpaul were to score 150 they wouldn't be able to avoid follow on...the more realistic question is - will WI be bowled out before lunch or after lunch on day 3? Series' like this make you wonder if the word minnow should even exist in the vernacular of world cricket! At the end of the day how much separation is there between WI, SL, NZ, Ban and Zim any longer!
IMO these are the 3 tiers we have currently--
1. SA, Eng, Ind, Aus
2. Pak
3. SL, NZ, WI, Ban, Zim
Once Pak's 2 aging superstar batsmen retire they'll likely fall to the next tier.
Disagree with the tiers you put up here. I think you went overall but to me it's better to separate both formats.

So for me in Tests

Tier 1: South Africa
Tier 2: England
Tier 3: Australia, India, Pakistan
Tier 4: West Indies, Sri Lanka
Tier 5: Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, New Zealand

Reasoning: since 2011, South Africa has a W/L ratio of 4.33. Next best is England with 2.14. South Africa deserves to be in their own tier and England in their own as well since nobody else has a W/L ratio of 2.

Reason I have Pakistan with India and Australia, laugh all you want at them but they have a higher W/L compared to them and they beat England 3 times and South Africa once in this period. So they belong in the tier with India and Australia.

As for the rest, I have Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, and New Zealand below West Indies and Sri Lanka because they have a W/L ratio below 0.5. Therefore these teams as of right now belong in a tier up from the bottom although SL will be a bottom feeder soon if they continue to struggle.

As for ODIs, here's my opinion,

Tier 1: India
Tier 2: England, Australia, Pakistan, South Africa
Tier 3: Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh, New Zealand
Tier 4: Zimbabwe

In ODIs, India deserves to be in a league of their own as they have W/L ratio of 2.05, the only team to do so in ODIs. Their still the team to beat in ODIs. Tier 3 teams don't make it due to the fact that they have a W/L ratio below a 1. And Zimbabwe is in their own league at the bottom because besides the 5 wins against Bangladesh during this time period, they are 2-18. Therefore they are not good enough for Tier 3.

Those are my views where things stand