View Single Post
Old October 24, 2006, 03:51 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
It seems that Opera has solved a lot of their problems with rich text editors.

http://operawiki.info/TextAreaEditor

What web applications are you talking about?
Mostly CMS/blog/forum and other content publishing applications that require use of advanced rich-text editing tools.

Opera 9 currently only supports basic text editors, that's even because they followed what FF has done. Though more powerful RTE like FCKeditor, which is used by many applications is still not supported. I followed this site from the link you gave me and it clearly shows the lack of RTE compatibility with Opera, even Netscape and Safari is doing better.

Opera also has rendering and other compatibility issues on its Mac counterpart.

It seems Opera's vigorous attempt at perfectionism is too problematic. It's trying to offer the user flexibility of everything under one hood, but neglecting the difficulty it sets developers to stay on top of maintenance. It's not always possible for sites to avoid buggy code, especially CMS-based sites which can be used by novice end-users with no regard for the latest "web standards". Opera simply assumes or "expects" things work with "Opera", instead of making their software more accessible and backwards compatible with existing setup and standards.

Ultimately, no browser is perfect. Opera has great features but it's still not the average user's "only" browser. FF is miles ahead in that race.