View Single Post
Old March 19, 2006, 01:33 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: kothhin proshno
Default Differentiation of greeting based on religion? Cool or not so cool?

salam ahmad bhai,

actually I do say salam even when I enter my house, even when I meet my mom, my sister or any muslim brother. if I meet a non-muslim bangladeshi, I say "ki khobor, kemon achhen?". and ahmad bhai, it is very common in bangladesh, may be not common in gulshan or baridhara, I dont know. and it is very common to distinguish your ethnicity, which is one of your basic rights. it is practised not only in bangladesh, but also in the first world countries. people are always aware and proud of what they are. in bangladesh, hindus say "nomoshkar" to elders and it is a common practice as well. I am amazed that you havent heard salaam from anyone entering a room. someone who does not greet is always considered to be ill-mannered, even if that person is a white british. they say hi or hello to everyone over here as they dont have any specific greetings for christians. kabir bhai wrote how they greet each other in usa and bd, from my part I told how I am used to see people greeting in bd and in uk. there is a specific meaning of salam as well. but i dont want to go through a long discussion about those things as some people are not even used to getting or giving salam here.

ahmad bhai, stay with the middle class normal people for some days, you will know how they are and their culture. at this moment my assumption is that you are from gulshan or baridhara and studied in english medium.

in the end, i would like to say, there is no disgrace to state what a person is. and to state that you are a muslim is the best statement a person can ever make. and to hide or run away from it is simply strange.

I really find it disturbing when someone is trying to mock me up when I am practicing my personal way of choice. thats why I mentioned, anyone can practice "dhormo niropekhkhyota" and its his/ her own choice and no one can force him/her to come to islam. its really surprising to see the new generation asking me which bd am I from while not knowing the bangladeshi ways of greetings.

it really hurts to know how hamburger culture is catching up.

Thank you