View Single Post
Old October 24, 2005, 02:04 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Quote:
Originally posted by oracle
External item

Want to get some concrete feedback, especially about medicines that contain alcohol. Is phensidyl haram when you need it for coughs?
The link author Mesbah Uddin has attempted to compare two verses with his view of which is allowed and which is forbidden. Looks like he has set his mind that Allah is bound to use exact words in every place Allah forbids.

Also, Mesbah Uddin does not care much about hadith, because he follows the deviated believe that hadith cannot be relied upon. His article is an example, that those who elimiate hadith can actually twist and interpret Quran as he pleases. 1400 years later, our so called Bangladeshi "Muslims" are re-inventing Islam! If Mesbah Uddin's version of Islam to be true, everything we practiced for over 1400 years of Islam is wrong!

Quran has been explain by Nabi(saw) thru actions, sayings, all of which have been preserved in hadith.

Quran says:

O ye who believe! Strong drinks and games of chance and idols and divining of arrows are only an infamy of Satan's handiwork. Leave it aside in order that ye may succeed. Satan seeketh only to cast among you enmity and hatred
by means of strong drink and games of chance, and turn you from rememberance of Allah and from (His) worship. So will ye not then abstain. (Qur'aan 5:90-91)

Hadith:

Ibn Umar (Radhiallaahu Anhu) reported the Messenger of Allah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) as saying, 'Every intoxicant is Khamr and every intoxicant
is Haraam (forbidden)' (Bukhari and Muslim)

Aaisha (Radhiallaahu Anha) said that when Allah's messenger was asked about bit which is the nabidh (drink made from dates, raisins, honey), from honey,
he replied, 'Every liquor which intoxicates is forbidden.' (Bukhari and Muslim)

Jaabir (Radhiallaahu Anhu) reported the messenger of Allah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) as saying, 'If a large amount of anything causes intoxication, a small amount of it is prohibited.' (Abu Dawud)

Aaisha (Radhiallaahu Anha) reported Allah's messenger as saying, 'If a faraq (faraq is about eight kilograms) of anything causes intoxication, a handful of it is forbidden.' (Abu Dawud)

Umar (Radhiallaahu Anhu) narrates, 'I heard from the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam), 'He who believes in Allah and the last day should not sit at a table at which people drink.' (ibn Maajah)

Opinion of the Scholars on where Alcohol is allowed:

Question:
I am doing a business of perfumes containing alcohol,such business is allowed or not in Islam? please answer me in view of Quran and Hadith Wasalaam

Answer:

If the alcohol in the perfumes is synthetic, then it is permissible to sell such perfumes.

The income from the sales of such perfumes will be permissible.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Source: askimam.org

Question:

I heard a relative of mine saying that if you use an alcoholic perfume spray from some distance for example 10 centimeters, it is permissible for you to pray with the same clothes & even you can pray in the Masjid. He says that he has confirmed this with an imam also. What my belief is any perfume which includes alcohol is haraam to use on your body or your clothes, as alcohol is haraam. So please advice in this matter. JazaakAllahKhair. Also, I would like to know the exact translation of ?And ALLAH knows the best? in Arabic.

Answer:

The use of the spray that contains alcohol (denatured) is permissible and does not make the clothes najas (impure), hence, one can make Salaah. The type of alcohol that is used in the spray is not that is used in the beverages and the like.

The translation of Allah knows best which would be transliterated as "Allah hu A'lam".

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Shaykh Irshaad Amod
FATWA DEPT.

CHECKED & APPROVED: Mufti Imraan Vawda
Source Askimam.org

Question:

Is it permissible to use a perfume, deodorant, etc. which contains alcohol, and if so, can one perform Salaat without washing it off?

Answer:

It is not permissible to use deodorants that contain alcohol from grapes or date extracts. Such perfumes are impure and Salaat with it is invalid. However, if the alcohol is synthetic, it is pure and permissible to use. Salaat without washing off such perfumes will be valid. Sometimes, it becomes difficult to differentiate between genuine and synthetic alcohol. Thus, to be on the safe side, one should rather prefer using deodorants and perfumes that are labelled as ?alcohol-free?, especially when such perfumes are easily available.

Mufti M Saeed Motara
Azaadville, South Africa
Askimam.org