Thread: mushfiqur rahim
View Single Post
Old June 3, 2007, 09:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Sohel NR, you have digged up some scorecards of Dhiman and Saghir but ignored (probably you missed those matches) some batting of Saghir which places him well ahead of Dhiman, and those are very recent matches.

Here's Saghir's match saving 70 against England A in February 2007

Here's Saghir's 86 against England A in Feb 2007

Career stat between Saghir and Dhiman does not make much difference, apart from domestic first class matches, Saghir always proved a better option in Bangladesh A team matches.

And 2 centuries never judge a players ability to convert 50's into 100's, way to go. I think Saghir's one century and 9 half-centuries compared to Dhiman's 2 centuries and 5 half centuries prompted you to the conclusion. It's way too early to comment bro.
thanks for the stats Miraz bhai. good performances with the bat. i have always been more interested in the keeping skills possessed by a keeper, as his core competency... that's just me and that's what a lot of the focus has been about in my posts here. obviously batting's important also. i mean let's not kid ourselves, we won't have mushy where he is in our thoughts today without that bat. i for one am really glad that he's there.

the presumptive tone as to my narcissistic intent to put up an argument with available stats just for the sake it, if that's what it was, is a bit uncalled for. on the other hand, if it is coming from nothing other than good faith extrapolations, i apologize in advance for my own presumptions. we obviously have a difference of opinion here and i don't have a problem with that. neither do you, i'm sure.

i did attend quite a few of the national league matches in and around dhaka, and my opinion of the two is based on what i've seen of them. what i've seen obviously influence the way i look at the available stats. frankly, i think dhiman continues to get the shaft beyond a certain level simply because saghir's a bit flashier, and not because of any performance standards at the domestic first class level. those standards and measures do not exist as tangible elements of BCB's selection policy to my knowledge. come to think of it, i don't think there is a somewhat objective selection policy based on predetermined criteria and measures that define and assess talent, and thoroughly analyze individual performances on the field beyond the half-baked.

your last two paragraphs, especially the bit about it being too early to comment. i agree bro. it may also be too early to comment on dhiman's batting for BD-A. but then again, we have to work with what we have at hand. comparative stats are always a good place to start, keeping in mind that they are no more than the oversimplified abstractions from a series of significanlty more complex and heterogeneous processes, abstractions that can serve as the better strategic toolkit we can use to make more reasonable choices by the end of the day. the net worth of the early analysis, both in your case and mine, has value only when duly contextualized in terms of all the perceived realities connected to the process.

dhiman's conversion ratio, according to the stats at hand, is better at this point in time, just as saghir's batting performance for BD-A maybe better in comparison. i mean what else is there at this juncture?

(BTW- i say maybe because i don't know as i haven't seen dhiman's BD-A batting stats. but you'll get the benefit of my doubt any day of the week, month, year or decade for that matter. based on what i've seen so far, like some of dhiman and saghir's performances behind the stumps as well as with the bat, cricinfo and even wisden is missing-out on your erudition. i'm not just saying that because i'm a Miraz fan, but because that's what i think despite my intellectual limitations.)
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 3, 2007 at 09:38 PM..