View Single Post
Old March 19, 2011, 09:32 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar, Klusner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
I can see why the smart money is on Ireland. However, I think we should not be comparing Ireland to Bangladesh. Canada is a closer match in terms of personnel. The Irish team is made out of a number of players who have chosen to don the Irish shirt. None of these players could be good enough to feature in their home nation's test or one day international team.

Why should we comparing Ireland to Bangladesh? Many of the so called Irish players would jump at the chance of playing for one of the major test nations. 'All' the Bangladeshi players would jump at playing only for Bangladesh. This is not jingoism speaking but more an accurate reflection of how things are.

Bangladesh had been disappointing in this tournament. This team will get better. Ireland would only get worse as there isn't that much interest for cricket in Irish schools.
I differ on this point. Of the 15 players in Ireland team, first of all were Irish, like in Bd all were bengalis. Secondly 5 players were born in Ireland, 5 players were Born is N Ireland and rest 5 were born outside (3 in Aus, 1 in NZ and SA). Out of these 5 born outside the nations, 4 had already taken up Irish citizenship and were part of great boon in Ireland. Only 1 player is an Expatriate. This is fully an Irish team of Irish and they did much much better than Bangladesh. They chased 2 times a score of 300. I cannot even imagine out Bd doing the same. They really challenged India, Us and West Indies and where as got a beating from SA. There also they had caused a scare with SA at 105 for 5 before they recovered.
What about us, we played all matches in our own back yard in front of our huge crowds. What happened, Sehwag challenged us, said a revenge match and smashed us, India smashed 371. What a shame. WI and SA have made a mockery of us. 58 and 78. Is that a score of Test Teams. Between 4 Associates Ire, Neth, Can and Kenya, just happened once for Kenya. 4 team once and us 2 times. We won against England, only because england themselves have been scrapy against all teams including Neth and Ireland. Yes we won convincingly against Netherlands. Wow what a performance.
We have to improve to be called a test team. Perform when it matters the most.
We have 3 wins and that is good and lost 3 games. I will would have been gr8 had not we shamefully went down 58 and 78. Shame on TIgers