Thread: Boxing
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2013, 10:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Night of Boxing

Wladimir Klitschko vs Francesco Pianeta

Wladimir Klitschko dropped (X3) and stopped Francesco Pianeta in the sixth round Saturday night to retain the WBA and IBF heavyweight titles.

The Ukrainian was never troubled by Pianeta, finishing off the previously unbeaten Italian southpaw with a right-left combination. Pianeta stayed down before attempting to continue, but there was no point in delaying the inevitable and referee Ernie Sharif ended the bout 2:52 into the round.

"Francesco tried. He has a fighting heart," Klitschko said. "He's a positive example in boxing. I'm sure he's learned a lot and that he has a great future ahead of him."

The 37-year-old Klitschko improved to 60-3 after his 52nd knockout, while Pianeta dropped to 28-1-1.

Abner Mares vs Ponce De Leon

Mares won his third world title in as many weight classes in the past three years, going through the bantamweight, junior featherweight and now featherweight divisions to claim world titles.
Mares (26-0-1, 14 KOs), the quicker and more accurate fighter, landed a sizzling right hand just before the second round ended to drop Ponce De Leon, a southpaw, hard. He beat the count and the round ended. Mares rocked Ponce De Leon again with a right hand at the end of the third round.

The fight was all Mares. Although Ponce De Leon had a few brief moments in the middle rounds, Mares -- who dedicated the fight to his father, who recently had a stroke -- was never in trouble and he ended it impressively in the ninth.

"I had to mix it up. I had multiple game plans; he only had one game plan," Mares said. "We mixed it up and he got confused. He never hurt me with the left. He hit me with the left a lot. It's a learning experience. I demonstrated a more poised Abner."

Floyd Mayweather vs Robert Guerrero

After a quite first round, which floyd controlled Guerrero attempted to assert himself in the second round, pinning Mayweather on to the ropes with a series of well-timed blows with his left.

But Mayweather's class was evident in the next round as he landed some damaging blows himself, and he continued to set the tempo while keeping his compatriot's brief attacks at bay.

Mayweather looked comfortable over the last third of the fight, picking off Guerrero almost at will as his superior speed and movement told.

Mayweather was barely marked as he finished the bout with a 60% success rate with his power punches while handing Guerrero only his second defeat of his 33-fight professional career.

Mayweather was masterful at times, landing thudding right hands and bloodying Guerrero's face in a performance that mimicked some of his best fights. Mayweather hurt Guerrero on several occasions, including a series of right hands near the end of the eighth round that buckled Guerrero's knees.

All three judges scored the bout 117-111. The Associated Press had it 119-109.

My Prediction: Mayweather 118-110, I scored the fight 119-109 with Guerrero winning round 2, there was 2 close rounds, but the judges somehow managed to find 3 to give to Robert, Floyd Dominated 10 rounds of this fight.

Mayweather Improves to 44-0 26 KOs, Guerrero Drops to 31-2-1