View Single Post
Old May 28, 2007, 09:56 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Ian,
Thanks for your input.

In current Bangladeshi context "Time to appoint a Captain with new thoughts" and "What sort of coach should we get" are indeed about Change of vision.

A captain largely determines the approach of a Team in both Tests and ODI. With Bashar as a Captain, most opponents can easily predict the course of action of Bangladesh Team in a particular game. Chittagong Test is a classic example, with a captain with the mindset of Graeme Smith or Ricky Ponting or any other positive captain would have definitely gone for a win. With Bashar there it was a safe bet for Dravid. We need to change the vision of our captain to achieve positive results in Tests, a captain with positive attitude, who will play for a win and will be ready to take the challenge to the opposition whenever opportunity arises.

About coach, since Dav made his position clear, BCB is talking about high profile coaches, which IMO is not the right choice for Bangladesh Team in the present context. Here BCB must change their vision and understand the need of the team. And I have clarified the reason in my article.

I definitely agree with you that acclimatization can be better done by touring countries. What I am proposing is additional resources, look at Australian wicket type. Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide all have different wicket type and Australian first class players are playing in these different condition which is definitely help them to acclimatize to different conditions before making it to the national team. Having different wicket types at home will definitely help our first class players to develop their skill to play different shots. When they will make it to the A team or National team, only then they will get the opportunity to tour different countries, and then they can use their experience to acclimatize better. I am not saying that we should sacrifice our natural sub-continent wicket types. That's our strength when other countries will be touring us, we must keep them but we need diversity for our players skill.

For example, our batsman hardly have the proper technique to play hook and pull shots as balls in our wicket types rarely reach that level to play these shots. Secondly, we are not getting good fast bowlers due to nature of wicket. In our wicket, fast bowlers are battered and batsmen find them easy to negotiate. Getting some assistance from the wicket will encourage fast bowlers as well as batsmen will get different kind of challenge.

I hope this clarifies.
Thanks

Miraz

Last edited by Miraz; May 28, 2007 at 11:15 AM..