View Single Post
Old January 10, 2018, 04:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner
Lightbulb Cricketers Wage Gap: Your View

Quote:
Shakib told the committee, which features the likes of Ricky Ponting, Brendon McCullum and Kumar Sangakkara, that numerous younger Bangladesh players were no longer viewing Test cricket as their goal due to the greater financial security afforded them by T20.
Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...layer-wage-gap

Additional Read: Who gets paid what in cricket

My view: I don't agree with Shakib's take on this. Frankly, I would've liked to see more passion from our test captain about the game as opposed to just money. Test cricket, for some people, is love for cricket. The ultimate form of cricket. I don't agree that young Bangladeshi boys don't want to play test cricket because of money. On the contrary, I think most cricketers would be privileged to play test cricket. Maybe not in West Indies (No offense Aklemalp) but certainly in BD.

As for salary gap, what is the average salary for someone in BD? Making $140,000 is a lot of money for many. It's unfair to compare to Australia or UK. What is the average salary in those countries? How much is a ticket to watch a game cost? What about cost of daily needs (rent, groceries, etc.) ?

Your thoughts, please.