View Single Post
Old May 18, 2006, 11:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
A close relative of mine is planning to migrate (Immigration VISA ) to Toronto from Dhaka. That’s the good news. But the bad news is she is asking my help, as she doesn’t know anyone in Toronto well enough to ask for information. She is coming with her two kids and literally useless and typical Bangladeshi husband. Financially she plans to bring enough money to survive at-least couple of years without working, so long term they should be ok. But the problem is short term logistic issues: like picking them up (with 8+ luggages) and renting apartments, applying for necessary documents, getting utilities and bank accounts etc., and who knows what else is needed. My mom said I must help them, so no way out.
I have to take one week off and go to Toronto, in one day in-advance to pick them up from airport and arrange an apartment. But the problem is: I never visited Toronto, it’s a new city to me in a foreign country. The best I know about Canada is visiting Niagara Falls for few hours. Its hard to convince my mom that I will as clueless as my migrating relatives as Toronto is completely a foreign city to me. Only that I will have a credit card to save me if there is a disaster. Now I am getting more and more scared, for both myself as well as my relative.
There are lots of issues to think about. For example if I need to make an arrangement so that they need to stay in a hotel for a week or so, where will be a good place (price wise) to stay so the hotel rent is not too much? Based on information I got looks like eventually we need find a rental apartment in one of those bangali Para (Macy or something like that?) in downtown as they will not have any car for a while.
Can I make an arrangement to rent the apartment in advance for them?
How is the transpiration from the airport? Can I use public transportation or should I take a car?
How is the parking arrangement in downtown? How is the public transportation? That should help me to decide whether I drive or fly. The advantage of driving is: I can take lots of emergency stuff for them from USA.
The other question is what I should buy for them from USA versus buying them in Canada? For example: they will need a microwave (if its not part of the apartment), a cheaper desktop computer, blankets, pillows, etc, etc, etc
If someone recently migrated to Toronto or faced similar situation like me, please feel free to share what other issues we may need to worry about and what are the possible best resolution. Or if you know any helpful resource please shares the link.
hi Fazal.I am not an immigrant but astudent in canada and know pretty much everything there is to know about toronto. Firstly the public trnasport system in toronto is one of the best I have come across with a few execptions like the "steeles" route bus which somtimes never maintains the time schedule.But on na more serious note the transit is one of the best. You can use public transit to move from the airport to your destination but with 8 luggages that will not be wise at all. There is a bus called airport rocket number 192 if I remember correctly that shuttles from the airport to Kipling subway station. BUt with 8 luggages you would need a minivan or a SUV to move from the airport,even a taxi wont be able to take that much stuff in.
About hotels, since I have never had the need to stay in hotels I do not know the price of a lot of them but I do know that the cheapest room rate at the royal York hotel in downtown toronto is 90 dollars I think. However if you are looking for cheap temporary accomodation then bread and breakfasts would be ideal. They would cost about 40 dollars and up. If you are looking to rent a place in a bangali para ie. Massey buildings and all, near victoria park subway then you will find lots of bread and breakfasts in kingston road which is about a 30 minute bus ride from the first subway station on the east side called kennedy. Victoria park station is the third one from the east.You can go there and talk to the management about rental inquiries if that is the place you are looking for. Or you can take a look at www.rentersnews.ca and search for apartment rentals based on your budget and requirements. My friends who live in the bangali para near victoria park subway has bought the apartments so I am not very sure about the rents but I have heard that they range from 800 to 1500 canadian dollars. But you should keep your options open and can even try looking at the aprartments on MArkham and eglington. I think the best bet for you would be to go through the website address I gave and search from there. If you have a car it will be easier to look for an aprtment but you can always rent something from toronto for a week if you need to. You can also visit www.ttc.ca and look at the GTA(greater Toronto Area) map to get an idea about the distances between the different cities like scarborough,etobicoke,north york,toronto etc. HOwever all these are part of the GTA and the transit system covers most of these places. The others have their own transit system like the mississauga transit,brampton transit etc. There are so many things that I can write an essay on this. But I think once you go to toronto things will fall in place by themselves.
Let me try answering your other questions, parking in downtown is expensive so the public transit will be preferable if money is an issue. And as i told u public transit is very very good so you can go anywhere in toronto using the TTC. Most apartments come with a stove,refrigerator,closets,storage area, and other appliances based on your negotiations with the super. and the management. The best way to find out is to talk to them. I personally do not think buying things from the usa is a good idea. It willl only add to your luggage and burden, you can get everything from Canada and stuff like microwaves are not expensive.

I do not know if I answered your questions properly but mone hochche onek incoherent answer dilam,so if you have any specific questions you are more than welcome to email me and I can try helping you out. I am in Dhaka for the summer holidays and will go back in third week of august. If you are on toronto around that time and need any help I will be happy to show you around town. Best of luck in helping your relatives.

Last edited by layperson; May 18, 2006 at 11:45 PM..