View Single Post
Old November 13, 2007, 04:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Getting out after batting 3 days and 2 1/2 days? I think you meant the game to be over in that time. I want all of our top six to be stroke makers, but patient stroke makers, who can bat beyond sessions and in the process score runs to put the opponent under pressure, so our bowlers have something to ball at. I don't quite follow what you are trying to say. Are you proposing that we sack every player that play with positive intent, however flawed they are, and replace them with pure grafters, as you call, 'holding the fort' type of players who are equally flawed in what they do? Those players we have give you the illusion of dogged resistance, but in reality, they too leave the job undone.
yeah u r right about the 3 day finish thing. and
No i am not saying sack all of them who r stroke makers. On the other hand it sounds like you want to drop all the slow players (Golla, Rajin, Pilot) just because they have , according to you, a loser mentality.
What I am saying is, I agree that we need to get them out (those three) but at this moment as our star stroke players have no clue what TEST match is, we just can't. See how aftab bats in NCL? how do you expect him to learn the art of TEST in 2 test matches in NZ when he can't do it in his home ground...

Quote:

I agree though when you say that some of our stroke makers need to learn how to curve it sometimes and play according to the situation of the match. No room for disagreement. Thats what I hope that one day the likes of Ash, Aftab, SN will take us that extra mile, when they will score big tons, playing two three sessions.
And i agree and that's why while two three of them r learning (ash, TI, AFTAB) we need some people to slow it down. Cuase it will not happen (Them scoring big runs that quickly like in NZ tour or the next one).

Quote:
A solid top six batsmen must have the capability to strike and graft according to the situation of the game. I am not looking for a swap deal here. Generally, its easier for the natural stroke makers to slow down when needed, as it is a mental thing, which can be honed. It is upto the player to learn that. But, someone who is not a naturally gifted striker, I am afraid, nothing can rectify that fault.
Again in paper it looks good that we need six solid batsmen etc etc but in reallity we don't have solid batsmen. so what we have to do is, I think, we need to make solid player out of (ASH, AFTAB, JR., Tamim) and while they r learning we need to work with what ever we have so that we have a chance to play all 5 days. if we have all stroke player like you r suggesting here (if i am understanding u right) then the game will be over in 2 days or may be 3rd day morning...
Quote:
Yes, We need the right mix right now. Simply because one can't do the job of the other! Make sense? No team can flourish in test matches like that. Aftab doesn'y play tests because he is playing in one mode. But, when he decides to buckle down, would you swap him for Rajin in the team? No. Why? Because he is already blessed with the natural power that Rajin doesn't have.

Hopefully you see what I am trying to say...
So you want to try him(aftab) out and keep him in the TEST team until he decides to buckle down? Last time i check it was still "Bangladesh" team not "WHEN WILL AFTAB LEARN HOW TO PLAY TEST" team.

I get your point but i don't agree with that. I don't think playing ONLY stroke players at this moment is the answer
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled