Thread: Car problems
View Single Post
Old May 23, 2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Bumping this thread for a bit of car talk Bangladeshi Ishtyle.

It seems in Bangladesh its cheaper to re-condition a car then buy a 4 YO second hand car. When I mean recondition, I really mean it.

Engine
Suspension
Exhaust Sytem
Interior
Body Work and Paint

All we start with good chassis and strong body.

I may be wrong. So please discuss.

Just an example

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

1991 Toyota Celsior (Thats a Lexus for us living in the west). Was advertised for 18 Lac ($22,500 US)

BTW we have separate thread for politics and violence.
That is correct, but Mo bhai, getting reliable parts can make it more incrementally expensive. This is all from my experience - Engine is 2nd hand imported whole with gearbox usually in Bangladesh. For Lexus Celsior, a used Japanese imported engine with transmission will set you back around 1.5 lakh in Dholaikhal. Then you have to get hold of a compatible ECU for that engine and transmission. There are very few good engine rebuilders who will disassemble the engine, clean it and rebuild with new camshafts and components. Most work will be done on a lathe without proper attention to sizing and clearances. Even when reassembling mistiris dont have knowledge on torquing the nuts properly!

Regarding Suspension and shock ups that is where I have bigger problems... because i am always on a budget I end up buying Thai/Chinese aftermarket shockups struts and bushings that do not always last. So within a year or 2 of driving you will see cracks, weakness and misalignment. You will see a lot of modifications, cutting and lathe machine work required, for example as spring coils are all 2nd hand, there is higher preference to use Honda Accord springs in Toyota cars, because they are stiffer and more durable than Toyota 2nd hand springs. Things like these can make it a headache to fix up a 2nd hand car.

But, given Bangladesh's road conditions and the stresses the cars go through in BD, you can expect that within 4 years of buying a showroom reconditioned Japanese import, you will need to work on suspension. 6 years for well maintained engine.