View Single Post
Old September 3, 2012, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Anyone visited the Tea Gardens in Sylhet? such a wonderful place. Take a train and travel across the countryside and watch the beautiful scenario(has been mentioned before in this thread).
Done that. Stayed at the Srimangal Tea Resort. Lovely. Also add a trek to the Lawachhara Forest.

Quote:
places I wanted to visit:

- lal bagher kella
- Sundarban
- Cox Bazaar
Done all three. We actually went to Sundarban in a launch of the Karnaphuli Paper Mill. Stayed 2-nights at a logging camp in the heart of the forest. Where the cabins are built on 25 foot tall stilts. Went trekking into the mangrove swamps. Went Kuakata. Loved it all. will go back in a heartbeat.

Quote:
in Dhaka: Places to visit/Things to eat

- must eat some chinese food
- must have some Hajiir Biriyani
- must have fuuchka/chotpoti(eat at your own discretion, may Give you stomach problems)/jhal muri
- visit Shahid Minaar
- visit Shriti Shaoudho
- visit Shongshod Bhobon (or walk past it)
- visit Shishu Park and/or Wonderland
- visit the places/Fair marketplace during the 1st day of Boishakh(Boishakhi Mela)
- go shopping in the hat bazaar at least once to meet people and shop
- spend at least one Eid in Bangladesh at least once in your life
- if you are a kid/student, Study your butt off...
Done it all except for the Shishu Park / Wonderland thing - alas Wonderland is no more.

As for Haji's - we actually went there at first opening. Right around dawn when he made his first hari. We reached there around 3:45 am and waited until he opened. There was quite a line too.

Quote:
in village(any village)

MUST TRY FOOD from maatir chula(the oven/stove is made out of clay), food tastes super awesome, Alhamdulillah...
must play cricket with local lads
squat toilet (takes a while to get used to, but it may be healthier)
visit farm, watch others work in the farm, slaughter a chicken
playing luddu/caroom with polapain to pass time
Other than the first, you don't need to go to the villages to do that.

Didn't do the cricket with the village 'lads'. Cricket became popular after my time. But I played cricket in the Dhaka oli-goli during lagatar hartals.

As for squat toilet - many Dhaka houses had and still has squat toilets. I lived in one for for several years. Been there done that.

I used to play ludu with my brother and sister growing up. Played carom with friends during college years.

I have not only slaughtered a chicken but also ducks and a goat.

Quote:

most of these things have probably been mentioned here before, so my apologies in advance

Havn't been to Bangladesh since 2004, I wonder how much of the country has changed since my description of it...

Kabir bhai has nailed this thread. I should check his posts in this thread the next time i go visit Bangladesh.(Given that i stay there for more than two weeks, so that i have enough time to do stuff)
Rifat - it's a different world. Dhaka is at least. Go out of it and it is much the same.