View Single Post
Old July 24, 2004, 04:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Few random thoughts

1. In theory all major test/ODI playing countries should have a pool of 15 to 20 quality players to pick from for test and ODI matches. We don't have that sort of quality at present. We have players with potential, but they are not able to transform their potential into performance on the field. I think the problem is deep rooted and something to do with our poor domestic cricket played on garbage pitches.

3. Different teams for tests and ODIs is not a solution - we still lack quality player who can implement their skills on field.

2. Something is fundamentally wrong with BD's batting order. I rule out the possibility of Bashar being dropped from ODI squad even though he proved nothing and has a low average. Bashar needs to go down to no.4 slot. His unique batting technique has been successful to get him runs at 35 average in tests but in ODIs it's totally exposed more often than not. Let us find a rather solid player techniquewise with patience at no.3 then Bashar could come and play his innings with less footwork when the ball is old and doesn't move much. I suggest Rana , for Asia cup, to play at no.3 or Rajin saleh in future when he's in form and selected for the team. Considering Ash will open with Javed or Shahrier, our middle order remains our biggest concern. I guess we have to give Kaps and Faisal little more time (!) or bring in a U-19 player who's relatively matured than other U-19 players. Nafiz Iqbal comes to my mind even though he used to play as an opener. But opening for the national team is a whole different issue all together and Nafiz has to wait for that one.

3. Khaled Mahmood has to go, I'm afraid. Mushfique or other players are not doing any good , but we can't afford to keep another old useless player. Here the key word is 'his age' as a medium fast (!) bowler, otherswise being useless isn't that much of an issue now!

4. I strongly advocate for introducing Twenty20 cricket in domestic level. Not only that we would not be left behind in case it becomes a permanent fixture worldwide in few years time, Batting-wise, they are going to be learning new shots and improvising much more. In the longer game you wouldn't have to do that until the very end, here you are going to have to do it straight away.