View Single Post
Old April 21, 2005, 12:49 PM
ODI Cricketer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...sh/4469217.stm
Whatmore aims to make Tigers roar
By Anna Thompson

Dav Whatmore is not a man who likes to leave jobs half done.

Whatmore celebrates Bangladesh's win over India in Chittagong
Which is why he has agreed to a contract extension as Bangladesh coach, with his next big task their first ever tour of England.

He can see there is talent in a squad which has been struggling along since it was launched into the Test arena five years ago.

The 51-year-old told BBC Sport: "My employers were very, very keen I stay with them and they have been pretty happy with the progress of the team."

Whatmore has been Bangladesh coach since June 2003 and under his tutelage they won their first Test series, beating Zimbabwe 1-0 in January this year, and have also recorded a one-day win over India in Calcutta.

Whatmore says a new domestic four-day competition in the country and the implementation of a high performance unit have improved Bangladeshi cricket in the last couple of years.

He said: "There are continuing challenges along the way because the national team has only begun their journey.

"They are pretty much a young group of players, not necessarily in years but in experience.

"I went in with my eyes open and I feel the real improvement will take a little bit longer than perhaps I first expected.

"Having said that we are definitely on the right track and there is talent. There are a few more youngsters who definitely will play for their country in time."

We are keen to make an impression to really test and push the opposition

Dav Whatmore
More: Whatmore signs new deal

Whatmore and his squad will head to England next month for a two-Test series and the one-day NatWest Series, which incorporates world champions Australia.

It is not going to be easy for Whatmore - especially as his side have never played in English conditions in May - but he is hoping they will put up a fight.

"It's going to be extremely tough, there is no question about it," Whatmore admitted.

"But having said that we are keen to make an impression to really test and push the opposition.

"I'm not going to make predictions but we are looking forward to the tour very much.

"In Test matches, we are playing the second-ranked team in the world so that's very difficult in itself and in the home conditions is even more difficult."

We are in the process of making stars - we haven't got the stars yet

Dav Whatmore
It is going to be a steep learning curve for the side but Whatmore believes this could be a positive thing.

"What I want to see is mistakes that are made not being repeated too often and our objectives are to do well in the game and for individual players to meet their targets.

"If I go on certain comments made by people in England they feel none of the Bangladesh players can play.

"But that's a nice little carrot for our boys to motivate themselves to do well.

"We are in the process of making stars, we haven't got the stars yet. It's exciting to be a part of a group who is striving to reach that level."

Although Whatmore has signed a two-year deal, the chance of becoming India coach is still a big attraction and he is not ruling it out in the near future.

But for now he is concentrating on Bangladesh and their progression in the Test and one-day arenas.

"I'd like to translate a lot of our effort into a few more wins along the way," he said.

But against England and Australia that is going to be a tough ask indeed.