Thread: Anime Fans!
View Single Post
Old December 23, 2010, 11:13 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Great thread. With the semester over, I don't mind watching a couple of new series.

Some of my all time favorites:

Dragon Ball Z
This was the anime that I was first introduced to and I loved it right away. DBZ had always been controversial in the anime world with many claiming that it has no substance and the outrageous series length. But as a kid, I loved each and every 291 episodes. I mean who could forget the moment Goku ascended to a super saiyan for the first time in planet Namek? I still remember how I would come home after school and turn on Cartoon Network Toonami to watch an episode. Ah good ol days.

Rurouni Kenshin
Another classic anime on Toonami. Whereas DBZ might have lacked a bit of substance, this anime did not have any such problem. One of the main strength of this anime was the protagonist. Kenshin was someone that anyone would like right away. And his principle and general outlook on life was something that I loved as a kid and still do today. This series emphasizes a lot on the human element and character evolution. What I mean by that is no character is as invincible or as evil as they may be. There are instances you will see Kenshin's weaknesses and other times you might see the history of a certain villain. I must however note that the series gets quite plain after the Sishio Battle. I would certainly recommend the Samurai X ova series, which spans out before the anime series. The story line in that ova was a complete masterpiece along with the music.

I'll list some more of my favorites later.