View Single Post
Old April 7, 2010, 03:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
you know that just by looking at the T20 scorecard ?
tiwary has a first class average of 54.73 with 11 100's and 7 50's with a highest score of 210*, that's a conversion rate of 61% ! the average is higher than VVS laxman's domestic average !
jhunjhunwala of course doesn't even make the bengal ranji team any more and has had a moderate IPL so far.
S Tiwary has played only 19 FC matches let him settle in and then after 3-4 years we shall see about his FC average or quality. Mind you, I am not saying that Tiwary is a rubbish player and have no intentions of singling him out. But there are several players in the IPL who just look plain ugly against short pitched bowling in moderate-slow Indian pitches. The short ball ploy was used by Bangalore in one game and it choked the IPL star Yousuf Pathan like a chicken in a slaughtering machine. And this is where I don't see the benefit of playing such a league, the lesser our players know about boom boom cricket, the better it is for us.
Add to that the fatigue factor, they are humans too, Bangladesh team played cricket since January without any break, add another 7 weeks of IPL and you will have a Bangladesh A team visiting England in May.
I see what you are saying, handling the pressure, exposure to such greats of the game, playing in different conditions should be really useful to any player. But all these comes with a cost, where the benefit[of playin in IPL] is enjoyed by the player, the cost falls on the whole nation.
IPL is a good experience, but according to me the priorities should be
International Cricket
Domestic FC in SA, Aus,Eng
Domestic FC at home
Rest
IPL or any other T20 comp

Remember, a drawn test against SA in SA will be way more valuable than a T20 victory against a world XI.