View Single Post
Old May 8, 2012, 02:55 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

There are two issues here: whether a player trains as hard as he can, and whether a player has to be told to train.

I am sure the fans simply don't care as long as a player performs. After all, this is all that matters right?

If a young player sees a senior player doing very little, they might think it's OK for them to also do very little. This is a role model situation and it depends on the gullible nature of the young player to be influenced negatively. What will then happen is the coach will have to TELL that player to train and this leads to problems.

If a coach is telling international cricketers they must train, then there is an issue. Grant (trainer) can tell you many, many stories about certain players not training or simply turning up and not doing what they should.

The problem for Shakib is that every coach knows of his lack of desire to train. It's a problem because others like Gambir, Narine, Lee, Ten Doeschate, Kallis etc at KKR, work hard in the gym and on the training field. These players will do more over and above what they have been asked to do. They push themselves extremely hard. It can work against a player if he isn't seen as a team player.

At Worcestershire, Shakib didn't want to train compared to the others. Essex, who are discussing the possibility of signing Shakib, already knows this.

So Shakib has a reputation of not training. My point is, just how good could he be, how much more would he play, how much more would he be revered outside of Bangladesh, if he simply trained like an international athlete? The knock on effect to the BD team would be immense as people copied what he did and Grant's life would be far easier as trainer.

If you have to be told to practice and train then you are in the wrong mindset as a player. It doesn't make you a bad player. It simply means you will not fulfil your fullest potential. Being number one at a certain time is no excuse.

Shakib is talented there is no doubt. What he doesn't realise perhaps he has a far more important role to play as a role model. The BD structure isn't strong enough to tell players they MUST do this or that. A player can go running to the board to complain if they don't like what a coach is doing.

I spent time at the BPL chatting to Anamul. He is extremely talented. But I wanted to discuss his mindset and I said not to look at other senior players in the BD team and think that's what you must be like. I told him to train hard, work hard, be the best he can be and he will get recognition all over the world. I told him not to chase the dollars, as the dollars will chase him. I wouldn't want Anamul to go down the wrong path with his training and practice.

So overall, you guys shouldn't be worried about Shakib's laziness, after all he doesn't. And he is a wonderful cricketer. However, if you want the cricket to get out of where it is right now, there are long term reasons above why you should keep an eye on things.