View Single Post
Old June 7, 2017, 06:56 AM
Club Cricketer

Hello guys, just joined this site (from Dhaka, BD residing in Wash DC, USA, currently in BD right now) , I hope I can provide good posts here.

I read a few posts here and there and the topic of the number 3 batsmen caught my interest the most. Obviously for 2019 Saikat (Mosa) is the most suited and is being groomed long term, obviously some other bridge options right now could also be Mominul Haque, Nasir Hossain, Liton Das or Nazmul Hossain Shanto.

TBH I am honestly thinking BD already has their number 3 on the team and the player most equipped to play number three but is playing a different position right now, and I don't mean Mushfiqur Rahim.

Soumya Sarker is the best number 3 for BD right now at this moment and time, but he is being asked to play opener.

As insane and as stupid of an idea this might be, why not persist and give Shabbir a chance to open, to me due to his lack of defense number 3 is not a good position for him and I don't trust/like Kayes at all. Sabbir is either a dasher at opening or a finisher at 6/7.

The reason I bring this up is for a few reasons.

1. Sabbir has a Afridi like trait that he is too brave for his own good (which others will take it as stupid and not playing with sense), but I think him being opener and SS being at 3 works out better because of his aggressive style.
2. One thing I noticed is whenever BD loses Tamim/SS, whether it's the players/fans/commentators etc. they have a slightly defeated feeling in the sense that it's not just one wicket lost instead BD is literally down 100/2 or 15/2 because whoever at 3 will always mess it up and get out, and Mushfiqur will have to pull out his magic act.
3. Designated role for SS, Sarker can handle pinch hitting/anchor both roles fine but at opening he is being asked to be the aggressor (I think he prefers starting slowly but settling in rhythem) also he faces the pressure of being too much like Tamim who can easily do both roles. But for a number three someone has to be well rounded in offense and defense and has to be patient, I think by putting SS at 3 instead of opening, he will have slightly less pressure to live up to Tamim and can play more naturally to his skills.
4. left hand/right hand combo some of the top teams have that at opening, BD having 4 left handers out of top 5 is asking for a disaster to occur (Tamim, SS, Kayes, Shakib)
5. If Shabbir does go maniac mode it's better to do it early and still lose the wicket but atleast he accelerates the innings at a faster pace instead of 30/0 or 30/ 3/4 wickets lost after 10, you can probably have a 60/70 for 1 after the initial PP.

That way BD will only lose one wicket but doesn't need to feel that whenever the opening pair goes down, number three will flame out immidiately which more then not causes 40/2 or 55/3 after just 10 to 15 overs.