View Single Post
Old October 30, 2003, 12:46 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
At the close of Lancashire's innings, E. A. Macdonald, Lancashire's imported and most stylish - and fast and most dangerous of fast bowlers to batsmen's anatomy - went into the Notts' players" dressing-room, advising them to ring up the nearest infirmary for an ambulance.

There is a Cardus book - possibly Good days, not sure - which contains a long section on Trentbridge. The ground in those days was a batsmen's paradise and Cardus lovingly describes it as a 'lotus land of batsmen, where it is always afternoon and 304 for two'.

It contains a few Gunn stories including the one that you have mentioned and I guess most of them in the true Cardus tradition, were figments of his imagination. Consider this one :

At 10:30 one morning, Gunn was reading the paper and drinking his morning coffee. His wife reminded him that the match between Notts and Yorkshire (or someone) at Trentbridge was into the second day and he should get going for the match.

'It is alright dear", replied Gunn. "We are batting and I need not hurry".

"But George", replied his wife, "you are batting !".

Gunn looked at the scores again, made certain that indeed, he was notout overnight, got dressed and went off.

Now, no way am I going to believe that this story is true !

[Edited on 30-10-2003 by Tintin]