View Single Post
Old November 21, 2012, 06:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaL-PurusH
Not true. He's got 2 fifty at #5 against england. He's got the start (30+)while batting at #4 but couldnt convert it. He is basically a middle order batsmen just like Naeem.
we''ll have to agree to disagree here because when riyad has batted from the #4 spot to the #7 spot his average is only 21.66 with two half centuries in 9 innings. batting at #8 (not including the current test match) he averages 48.75 in 15 innings with 1 century and 4 half centuries. batting at #7 he averages 18 but he's only played 1 innings, batting at #6 he averages only 11 but again just one innings, at #5 he averages 26.80 where he has 2 half centuries in 5 innings (not so bad but the highest was only 59), at #4 he averages 16 from two innings.

stats pretty much indicate he's better down the order, ok he had some success at #5 but it wasn't outstanding and overall batting in the middle order (#8 has to be considered lower order imo and it is by most) he hasn't had too much success, and the stats say he has had a lot more success batting at #8.

i'm not saying he can't succeed in the middle order, i think he can but he is better further down, he prefers it and also i think there are others who do and would perform better than him in the middle order, shakib, nasir, naeem, mominul, mushy (although mushy is a bit similar to riyad, does better at 7 and 8 than higher up but when given the chance he has done slightly better than riyad batting at #5).

but anyway we were talking about the #3 position which is considered top order but i think really if you're going to move someone up from the lower order to bat at #3 then nasir has performed better than riyad and mushy in the short time he's so far been in the team so that indicates that he could be a better candidate imo.

Last edited by Gowza; November 22, 2012 at 03:25 AM..