View Single Post
Old January 8, 2005, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist
Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
What is the ICC rule that says the opener cannot bat down the order and must come in after the 5th wicket falls?
If a player is not in the field during fielding, there is a limitation when he can come to bat. It does not matter whether he is an opener or not. Same is true for bowlers - any player who is not in the field for a considerable amount of time, can't just come in and bowl. He must wait for a specified period of time after coming back into the field.
As far as I recall, the restriction is only applicable to fielding for fielding team and does not carry over into a new day.

Law 2:

5. Fielder absent or leaving the field
If a fielder fails to take the field with his side at the start of the match or at any later time, or leaves the field during a session of play,
(a) the umpire shall be informed of the reason for his absence.

(b) he shall not thereafter come on to the field during a session of play without the consent of the umpire. See 6 below. The umpire shall give such consent as soon as is practicable.

(c) if he is absent for 15 minutes or longer, he shall not be permitted to bowl thereafter, subject to (i), (ii) or (iii) below, until he has been on the field for at least that length of playing time for which he was absent.
(i) Absence or penalty for time absent shall not be carried over into a new day's play. <-----

(ii) If, in the case of a follow-on or forfeiture, a side fields for two consecutive innings, this restriction shall, subject to (i) above, continue as necessary into the second innings but shall not otherwise be carried over into a new innings.
(iii) The time lost for an unscheduled break in play shall be counted as time on the field for any fielder who comes on to
the field at the resumption of play. See Law 15.1 (An interval).

--

So according to 2.5.ii - even if their is batting restrictions (which i could not find) JO could bat?