View Single Post
Old April 27, 2012, 01:19 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
Coach Ian, perhaps you can help in me in understanding something.

How come none of the "stars" from BD team play in the FC league? We see all the stars playing in the English FC's... or are our 'stars' better than their stars? People keep complaining that we don't have a good FC structure, and when it comes FC time, some of the 'stars' get a holiday... then time goes by and we get no XI players in the FC. And then some say our FC is a weak FC... no wonder since our 'stars' our not in FC! And then Test time will come...and Atherton, Ian, Ramiz will all be saying we need better FC... and Athar will chime in 'yes, yes'. Immediately after the XI sans 'stars' will join one FC match... and then a fast disappearing act either preempted by 50 over matches, T20s, BD vs BD A league...and that too to prepare for a test match nonetheless.

So where to break this vicious circle Coach Ian?

(Did I use the word FC enough?)
Hahahaha you did @ FC mentions.

Where to start about FC cricket in Bangladesh? Oh boy.

Each Test team has a different structure for FC cricket based on their own local set up. Many say the English system produces the best domestic first class quality (18 teams means more players get the chance). But underneath that structure, the amateur game is mighty strong. There are 4 first class Universities teams as well, plus the MCC Young Professionals (fully paid cricketers) who showcase talent.

All the Test players play in the county cricket scene in the UK, if their central contract permits them to do so.

The REASON central contracts were brought in was to stop International players in that country from 'burning out' or playing too much. England for example is a very active Test nation.

In Bangladesh clearly this isn't the case so players would need to get as much FC cricket as possible. However, the standard of that FC cricket has to be good enough to be a genuine place to play and learn the game. Overseas players help to lift that standard.

I don't follow BD domestic cricket closely enough to say whether the 'stars' play in it or not. I have seen the national players names in it so I am guessing they do.

The FC system ought to be the pinnacle of a country's domestic season (England's County Cricket, Australia's Sheffield Shield, South Africa"s Currie Cup, India's Ranji Trophy) as examples of that held in high esteem. I don't get the same feeling about that with BD.

None of those competitions stop for Test matches, ODI's or tours. The national players play in them when they can and are allowed to. The level of FC cricket therefore in those countries is maintained and set in stone. Priority is given to the FC system that runs across a 5 - 6 month period regularly and on time (England April-Sept, Australia Oct-Mar, SA Oct-Mar, India Sept-Feb).

I feel the system has to work for the players to have faith in it. And then the players can only improve if the competition is fierce and of a high quality.

In countries like Namibia, they take a national side to play in the SA domestic competition. Ireland and Scotland play in the (one-day) England competition. I feel that countries have to find things that work for them.

However as a TEST NATION, it is vital that BD has a good FC structure that works. Smarter brains than me will know what needs to happen to make that work in bangladesh.