View Single Post
Old March 27, 2009, 12:33 PM

Hizbut Tahrir is a tricky one. I faced them at U of T too, but steered clear, partly because the U of T MSA by itself is so rich and so strong. In Dhaka I was invited and encouraged to attend their dawah sessions a few times by some very close friends a few years back. I guess what saved me from joining them actively or passively is the fact that I hold my faith very personally.

I think my view on their organisation and outreach doesnt awe me because I have been exposed to U of T MSA's very practical and relevant outreach and organisation system. Secondly there were all sorts of activist Muslims in U of T, from pakistani tabligis to the intellectual Hizb-ut-Tahrir who all seemed to be slanted away from the middle ground that our mainstream MSA maintained.

However, in Bangladesh you have to hand it to them.... they do a fine job of addressing "issues" that the relatively apolitical, "modern" person finds more relevant, and Hizb-ut-Tahrir seems to give an "awakened" and stimulating response. Its a great way to do dawah here honestly and probably brings in a fresh face to serious Islam for the contemporary Bangladeshi students. Its also hard to pin down HIzb-ut-tahrir as a party to active terrorism and subversion.