View Single Post
Old March 19, 2013, 12:03 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I plead guilty as charged for sitting on the fence. I agree that sitting on the fence achieves nothing as you and Zunaid Bhai rightly pointed out. I also agree that one has to make it happen by making a stance and making their voices heard. That's why I was initially thrilled with Shahabaag as I felt the gathering echoed my voice and my frustration about today's politics too. At the same time I also feel that people like me don't have any vicious agenda towards any particular party. We simply hope for a better Bangladesh just like the rest of it's citizens.

I did not intend to make a sweeping generalization about all involved in politics, I know there are people driven by true passion for the country. However, I do believe that those people are a minority and the majority are comprised of thugs, corrupt people. The state of our politics today is a true reflection of the people involved. My issue is with the people who blindly align with one of the major parties because of it's name and will fully ignore all the wrongs, live in past glory and try to defend the indefensible.

I don't think either BNP or AL has any legitimacy left to preach about the founding ideals of our country. I was born in the early 80s and since then, I have seen bit of Ershad, and a lot of AL and BNP politics before I moved out of the country. Secularism, Democracy, Cultural Identity, Passion of 71 all seem like empty words used in speeches by both parties to me. I don't see even a trace of the founding ideals in our political process or in the actions of the government. It's the same horse sh*t every term irrespective of the party which sickens me.

I remember reading Shafiq Rehman's column in Jayjaydeen before the election and becoming energized to vote for BNP and then see my hopes burnt by Tareq Zia and co with their endless corruption. Then after 1/11, i saw promise in AL and their efforts at reform and voted for them only to see my hopes dashed yet again in this current term.

That's why I intend to judge political parties based on it's current performance and not on past ideals/glory. I don't find confidence in Shamim Osman or Jainal Hajari or Abul ... neither in Khaleda Zia and her sons, Mirja Abbas etc. I believe people should vote for the best candidate irrespective of the logo and slowly kick these people out of politics. I believe the party that puts forward a clear path for the future, encourages dialogue and debate in the parliament, stops abusing press and judicial systems and mostly importantly field credible/honest candidates should win the respective constituencies.

As a member of the sitting on the fence club i don't have the right to whine and moan about what's happening but I do have the power of my vote and I refuse to jump in by looking at the brand name only, I will make my decision based on only what the product has to offer.

Very well said, and its exactly how I feel about the current political situation in BD, and that's the kind of response I got from pretty much most of my social circle in BD. Not only do people have no faith in BD politics they don't want to take side or get associated with BD politics. The notion that you have to take side or if you have similar ideology means that have to be some how associated with a political party is ridiculous.

The guys who are making all the noise are a very small minority.