View Single Post
Old April 6, 2004, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by nasif

You won't get that much objectivity when the writer is Indian with "questionable" motive.

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by nasif]
The above is true in most but importantly not all cases. Yes, the Islamist bogeyman is insidiuously and often blatantly inserted in many of the BBC and FEER write-ups.

I would not call this particular article to be particularly unfair for it is extremely accurate. While some termonology is rather hyperbolic - "Asia's failed state", none of the facts can be disputed. He told it like it is and it hurts and pains.

Everytime I call home to my family the sense of fear and dispair at the worsening situation is palpable over the phone line. And I hope this discussion does not degenerate into a political name-calling. It is irrelevant because all our politicos are to blame.

Inspite of all the gloom and doom there are silver linings. The article alluded to it too - the good that is being done by the various NGOs and concerned citizens.

I personally dispair as an armchair analyst - being an expatriate all I can do is spout off long articles and donate a few dollars to some worth causes. My power to effect a change is limited. As long as I have turned my back on the country and now live outside it, my views or comments will never be 100% legitimate or authentic to the people back home. I may care, and yes I do, but my voice is suspect.

The question we must ask is this:

How can we, the expatriates, help Bangladesh turn away from the road leading into the abyss?

- Z