View Single Post
Old February 11, 2012, 07:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
I disagree, alF. Given that the country is only 40 years old, had its intelligentsia essentially exterminated at birth, has been prone to natural disasters, and had its initial source of foreign exchange (jute) made effectively worthless early on in its life, we haven't done poorly. Why don't you take a look at what life was like for American citizens (and I'm not even talking about slaves, simply white folk who weren't part of the land-owning gentry) when the United States was 40 before being so dismissive about Bangladeshis?

Yes, there is corruption. We're a third world resource-poor (at first sight) nation, ruled generally by politicians who are more interested in lining their pockets than trying to improve the lot of their countrymen, and that sort of behaviour does trickle down. Despite all that, the hartals, and the lack of any significant efforts by our successive administrations, our private sector has prospered, our GDP has increased, the rate of our population growth has slowed, our literacy rate has climbed, our women have become more empowered, and our middle class has grown. It's not anywhere close to perfect, but there's definitely room for optimism.
This I totally agree......