View Single Post
Old January 18, 2008, 04:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtylish cricketer
IPL teams should give some of these players a chance. I mean I understand most of our players can't bat in the long version but for 20/20 players like Ash, Aftab and Tamim are hell entertaining. County teams cannot have more than 2-3 foreign players so BD players have to compete against other good players.
Until recently county cricket has had a cap of no more than 2 overseas players (not 3). From 2008 they will only be allowed one. The discrepency is that a lot of south africans (and other foreign players) with EU passports manage to play for counties without qualifying as an overseas player due to the "Kolpak" ruling of the european court. Under this ruling any player from an EU country or a country with which the EU has an associate relationship, has the same employment rights as Uk resident. These players do not qualify for England, but nor do they qualify as overseas players. BD players would not qualify under Kolpak. If they did, then I'm sure a few of them (probably spinners) could play county cricket...

Although a fine player in his youth, I don't think you can compare Phil Weston with the likes of Hick, ramps and Butcher!