View Single Post
Old September 15, 2012, 05:32 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shiv Chanderpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindieFan
I think thats very harsh, Lesporis is a young batsman who has done well for Winwards in the four day competition over the last two years, yes he's not Darren Bravo but he's making his way up in the game and this is what the HPC is there for, to IMPROVE the young players, not everything has to be "political".

Dawes just played a full season for CCC alongside Holder and Mcclean and he done ok, i'm not sure he'll be playing for Jamaica again anytime soon, and lastly Cariah is just unlucky that he plays for Trinidad who already have Narine and Kantasingh, if he does well for HPC though i'm sure he'll be fine.
I actually agree with Gowza that the bench strength is something that's yet to be properly tested...I hope the guys do well, but I'm worried about them. I think the FC stats say it all:

Charles - 17 FC matches, ave 19.32 (bat)

Griffith - three FC matches, ave 9.20 (bat)

Barclay - four FC matches, ave 29.33 (bat)

Fletcher - 44 FC matches, ave 30.93 (bat)

Lesporis - 21 FC matches, ave 24.48 (bat)

Blackwood - one FC match, ave 12 (bat)

Hope - 10 FC matches, ave 22.31 (bat)

Hamilton - 16 FC matches, ave 21.96 (bat)

Ottley - six FC matches, ave 14.90 (bat)

Warrican - three FC matches, averages 16 with both bat and ball

Carlos - 13 FC matches, ave 27.31 (bat) ave 21.69 (bowl)

Cariah - five FC matches, ave 26.23 (bowl)

Cotterell - 10 FC matches, ave 30.38 (bowl)

Cummings - one FC match, no impact

Dawes - 14 FC matches, ave 35 (bowl)

Grant - no FC matches

A couple of things strike you about this squad....

1) Aside from Fletcher, everyone else in the side has played less than 22 FC matches. That means their short of experience, and playing in Bangladesh might be quite a challenge for them.

2) Aside from Fletcher, the batsmen average under 30 in their limited FC careers to date.

I don't think we're looking at any future Brian Laras in this squad, but hopefully a few of the batsmen will develop some consistency which will allow them to cement a place in their regional teams. Maybe Cariah will improve as a spinner, but my main hopes for this tour are to see some progress with some potentially good pacers - Carlos Brathwaite, Jason Dawes, Sheldon Cotterrell, and maybe Miguel Cummings.

But that has been the problem with West Indies cricket in recent times...we can produce a few good bowlers, but the batting cupboard is very bare indeed.