Thread: Hebrew Qawwali
View Single Post
Old September 18, 2010, 12:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
I really like Sufi-inspired music, being a fan of Junoon, but don't really know anything about it. I didn't even know it was called Qawwali. This guy is great, it's good to see him helping to keep this music alive. It would be such a shame if music like this were to die out thanks to the opinions of some of our more highly esteemed members of society
Mona, are you serious? This guy is keeping Qawwali alive?? Have you heard of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan? You know the guy who made Qawwali MAINSTREAM through out the WORLD after working with many famous western musicians. You know the musicians who never dared to fiddle with the purity of Qawwali.

Regarding the opening post, the suggestion that Tzur visited India and "discovered" Qawwali is highly an insulting one.

Quote:
'Menu for Eid'.. or how about this little gem.. 'How Much Eidi did you get?' by none other than our most righteous Lord Zee, I just don't goddamn click on it!
You don't click on it cuz Fab probably didn't cook on Eid cuz she was busy or you didn't get any money because you are too stuck up to be touching elder's feet. These are traditions we have grown up with and all of a sudden our tradition is "crap" and some guy raping the sanctity of Qawwali is intriguing. Good thinking. Why doesn't Tzar learn the language and then sing Qawwali. It's like singing Tagore songs in Hindi - oh wait weren't there attempt to bastardize tagore by bollywood?

Quote:
You call the thread crappy? The fact that there is such a thing as a 'crappy' thread is ridiculous. It's an internet message board! Who takes stuff like opening threads seriously?
To be honest, I don't think the thread is crappy but the tone of Electrequiems posts irked me. He sounds like he found the next Nobel peace prize candidate and Qawwali found its saviour.

Last edited by iDumb; September 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM..