View Single Post
Old October 19, 2008, 09:39 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I fully support the defensive strategy that BD team management came up with and implementing in the on going series. (Block, block and block and make opponents tired, may be they will not concentrate while batting)

NZ:
1) Unproven batting lineup.
2) Not fimiliar with sub-continent conditions (hot and humid).
3) Jury is still out on able to play the spin.

Knowing this, I think this the defensive strategy worked perfectly.

+++

However, in the near two future series the strategy may not work at all.

In unfavorable condition like SA, this defensive strategy will fail. The pitches will certainly be different, and local bowlers will eat the team alive if this defensive strategy is continued there.

+++

At home against SL:
Mendis and Murali will be licking their chops!! SL batting line up are not NZ batting line up. They are truly master of spins. India's Kumble and Harbi found out the hard way.

+++

I cheer the team and hopefully they will create history!!

I agree with u on when it comes to the srilanka case. Being defensive may see us being bowled out for literally nothing. Specailly with Mendis. it already makes me have goosebumps.

But as far as BD's overall strategy is concerned the one thing that has come out of this test match is the importance of having a long first innings. If 100-120 overs is the bencemark for it then let that be the aim whether it be achieved though pure defense or a mixture of caution and aggression.

I support the 8 batsman formula for BD (if it includes both Shakib and Naeem) simply because it adds crucial depth to the line up whose top order is vulnerable to say the least. In SA I would have a similar strategy to that of what they applied against newzealand. The top three would have to see the first session and a major portion of the second out. After that against the old ball on wickets that dont assist reverse swing and more importantly SA lacking a genuine wicket-taking spinner (P.Harris is only effective if some body is looking to attack hime) it would be time for Ash, R.Hassan (hope he gets fit), Mehrab, Mushfiq, S.Hasan can cash in on. Batting properly (which is a tough ask) will easiliy see us posting scores greater than 250 and who knows even more then that on a good day (personally i feel with our current line up Roqib included we could easily post totals close to 350-400 consistently if they bat to their full potential.