View Single Post
Old September 1, 2022, 08:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan
Afghanistan players and management show humility. They do not create the myth that their players are superstars and world beaters. They just put their head down, keep improving and let their performance do the talking.
I have been criticized in the past for dragging religion into cricket, but I believe religion also works like magic for them. The cohesive unit of an ummah - who sleeps, breath, eat and of course, pray together- brings them in a confident sync which almost gets them into a group flow. (From the players always saying Bismillah in international press to their well known tightknit fidelity in faith sort of insulates them. Contrast this with Pakistanis who are still not that religious.) It's almost they think as one in telepathic speed.

Hopefully people wouldn't mind bringing this topic. I had to mention it because at the end of the day it doesn't matter if religion or frikkin skiiing or scuba diving or heavy metal or yoga, if there is a STRONG COMMON THREAD that bonds and wefts togetherthen you KNOW you are fighting for a higher cause. These psychological strategies PLAYS MORE EFFECT and 1000x more powerful than just some 'oh tell them to tweak the finger to 12 degree and we will get wickets like buckets..' or for that matter 'oh there are six easy runs in an over, if only they work hard they can get it' simpleton, uninsightful vanilla "logic".

(As an aside, I want to mention that I once went to a bootcamp to survice for 50 hours but I couldn't make it past 1 hour. Years later a Pakistani dude went to the same camp run by Navy SEAL and completed 20 hours of his allocated goal. Although he is a 'pathaan' and grew up in hardy Pakistan, exercise and physical fitness has always been the a way of life whether it be tennis, UFC boxing, squash etc. The cherry on top, however, was when asked what pushed him through? He said his belief in Higher Power and Allah that no matter what He will get him through.)

Faith can be a superpower which galvanizes and emboldens into unstoppable confidence.

(Sorry godzilla for the long response and being slightly off topic. Then again this is not off topic imo, but tangentially VERY interesting to see what makes a winning team click and thrive who are hot.)

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles