View Single Post
Old July 2, 2004, 01:41 PM
First Class Cricketer

I have the BD vs. Canada game at home and I survived the pain of watching the game several times. I just wanted to see what went wrong. Is Canada a better team than BD? Or it was just one very very bad day? My observations (tried to be as un-biased as possible) was technically BD was lot better than Canada in terms of footwork, style and so on. There is no comparison on that. But the thing that was so obvious was the irresponsibility of our batsmen. You could tell from their facial expression that they just did not give any respect to their opponent. Since Canada was bowled out for only 170 (?) some runs BD batsmen thought it would be a piece of cake for them and start playing rash shot from the very first ball. I saw few batsmen (Hannan Sarkar) were smiling even after they almost lost their wickets for playing silly shots. At the end they all paid the price for not being responsible as a batsmen. By the time the tail enders wanted to save the game it was too late.

I really think it was a failure of the coach Mohsin Kamal who couldn't inject the sense or responsibility in our batsmen. That is exactly Whatmore is trying to do. Making them responsible. So for this Asia cup I just hope our batsmen will play with lot of seriousness and responsibility. If they can do that you don't know what they can do but definitely you may expect some pleasant surprise.