View Single Post
Old September 27, 2007, 03:08 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Rakib determined to scale new heights
Source: New Age,Dhaka

Raihan Mahmood
Abdullah Al Rakib, the fourth Grand Master of the country, is determined to scale new heights in chess. Rakib, who was confirmed as a Grandmaster by FIDE on Tuesday, categorically said he is ready to explore the unexplored horizon but he needs some support that is more than essential for a chess player of this part of the world.
Rakib, born on December 2, 1980, joins the elite list of Grand Masters of the country after Niaz Murshed, Ziaur Rahman and Reefat Bin Sattar who earned their titles in 1987, 2002 and 2006 respectively.
World Chess Federation (FIDE) at its third quarterly presidential board meeting in Mexico City on September 13 and 14 awarded him the game’s highest position. FIDE Elishta (Russia) conveyed the news to the Bangladesh Chess Federation.
‘I am happy to reach my goal. I firmly believed that I could reach the top, I worked hard to achieve it and feel proud to bring a laurel for the country,’ said Rakib.
Rakib, who resides in Narayanganj, earned his first norm at the 2nd Asian Individual Championship in Kolkata in 2001, the second from the Leonine Chess Club GM tournament in Dhaka and the third and final norm at the 33rd National Chess Championships, also held in Dhaka this year.
Rakib considers himself as a true professional chess player. ‘I have left my studies for the sake of chess, chess is my only obsession, being the Grand Master certainly boosts my motivation to go further,’ said Rakib.
But the new GM at the same time is apprehensive of the future of chess. ‘In our country chess players cannot earn their bread and butter by playing the game. Look at my predecessors, they failed to stay on the track firmly due to lack of support. I don’t know about my fate but definitely I look forward to going further. As long as I enjoy the game I will continue moving the pawns, queens and rooks,’ said Rakib.
Rakib is a believer in hard work and has a very clear idea on his own abilities and weaknesses. ‘In the tough world of top class chess, practice and exposure are the only ways to flourish. I definitely have some weaknesses, playing more international tournaments with top-grade players and some intensive training are required to improve upon the current level,’ said Rakib.
‘We need sponsors and support from the government to go up, I strongly believe one day the situation will change. If India can excel in chess why can’t we? I see a lot of potential players in the country,’ opined the new Grand Master.

Last edited by Nocturnal; October 2, 2007 at 10:15 PM..