View Single Post
Old June 23, 2006, 01:42 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Ok I am back. (This is probably the longest time I spent without access to internet)

Tiger_man, enough is enough.

You’re just doing damage control with your ignorant drivel. I didn’t start an argument to begin with, I merely protested to an offensive term that you’ve used rather unashamedly. If you didn’t intend to use it in that sense that’s all you need to say but don’t try to refute the term itself is not offensive.

Now you’re saying ‘Japs’ is just a shortened term for Japanese, similar to ‘Aussies’ to describe Australians - another awful comparison. Whereas your initial reasoning was a lot of people in Australia use this word blah……blah…….blah… as if that makes it right for you (or them) to do so. Besides you don’t represent the whole Aussie population. How would you feel if Bangladeshis/Bangalis are called ‘Bangs’, ‘Bangis’ or ‘Bangers’ for ‘short’? Maybe a lot of people in Australia find that acceptable, I suppose that also makes it okay? What are you smoking? "most people" using a term doesn't make it a slang. Slang is use of informal or 'vulgar' language mostly popular to street thugs and racist yobs, that's for sure.

I can't think of a clearer way to explicate your own words. IF ‘Jap’ despite being branded derogatory can still be a shortened term for Japanese without causing offence, wouldn’t you agree the term ‘Aussies’ for Australians could also imply ‘ex-convicts’ to the contrary, at least outside Australia by your logic?

Truth be told, there is no different meaning of this term in difference parts of the world (may be in your head) like there is no different meaning to the ‘N’ word, or the “shortened” word for ‘Pakistani’ - now that’s a reasonable comparison. The only difference is, ‘Jap’ is not your “mainstream” racist word because of the country and its people being relatively progressive throughout history.

Anyway I can see why you’ve berserk, you probably think Australia has conquered the world by beating its biggest foe “JAPAN”. Rest assured there is nothing wrong with feeling blindly and expressively proud. I feel the same way about Bangladesh, or even England (where I live), and of course Brazil, but in the end it’s only a sport and if one lesson I’ve learned in this forum, we ought to avoid prejudice even at the height of ecstatic success. If simply making this suggestion is “dadagiri” or teaching you “table manners”, well mate you’ve got issues.

I could care less how many insults you throw back at me because ultimately it will not change your nature, nor mine. So take this instance and move on, you might find it useful at some point of your sodding life.

I rest my case.