View Single Post
Old January 19, 2005, 04:19 PM
Test Cricketer

Bangladesh confident ahead of one-day series

Rabeed Imam

January 19, 2005

Brimming with confidence a day after a first-ever Test series triumph, Bangladesh head into their ODI series against Zimbabwe aiming for the maximum. The first of five matches starts on Thursday at the Bangabandhu National Stadium and, during a light practice session ahead of the match, Bangladesh's captain, Habibul Bashar said a clean sweep was well within their grasp.

"It is very difficult for the boys to shift their concentration to the shorter version within a day," said Bashar. "But I must say we are very confident of keeping the momentum going. We want a clean sweep in the series."

Bashar was, however, fully aware that Zimbabwe would pose more of a threat in the abridged version of the game, as they are more adapted to ODIs than to Tests. "They have some good allrounders and I think another plus point is their athletic fielding," he said. "We have to be at our best to make another history. That is why it is important to set the tune from the first match."

Bangladesh have never won a one-day series but their captain felt that conviction before this particular series was at a higher level than ever before: "I think we are now fully capable of handling any kind of pressure. The first Test win was a real morale booster for us and the fight back in the second Test completely changed our attitude."

Bangladesh left out Test series hero Enamul Haque Jr. and fast bowler Mashrafe Mortaza from their 14 for Thursday's game. Mashrafe has been rested after he played through back pain in the second Test. Abdur Razzaq, a 22-year-old left-arm spinner who tormented Zimbabwe A during their tour to Bangladesh last year, was preferred to Enamul - who is yet to make his ODI debut. Razzaq, who appeared in five matches in the Asia Cup, comes back into the side after correcting his action which was reported during that tournament.

Zimbabwe captain Tatenda Taibu was upbeat about his side's prospects in a form of cricket they are more comfortable with: "I don't agree that they (Bangladesh) finished the Test series with an upper-hand," said Taibu, who led by example in the Tests. "We dominated the second match and they had to ensure draw from behind. I am happy that our young side is improving in every game.

"We will go for a win and I believe my young side is very much capable and determined to pull it off. I think we are a much better one-day side because we have some quality allrounders."

Taibu, the Zimbabwe captain, said that they would take inspiration from the ODI series against England at home in November last year: "Considering our strength, we had a good series against England and I am sure it will help us to play better cricket against Bangladesh. We played four one-day matches against a strong England and in every match we showed our potential."

Zimbabwe's coach Phil Simmons expressed his displeasure at the tight scheduling. "I'm not happy with a day's break before another series which is a totally different ball game. It is not ideal for players," said Simmons, the former West Indies opener.

Zimbabwe's preparations have been slightly hampered by the news of an injury to allrounder Elton Chigumbura. The 18 year-old was a live-wire in the Test series, and starred for his team in the Champions Trophy last September: his loss would be a big blow to the side.

Source: Cricinfo