View Single Post
Old August 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

The Spin Doctor arrives in city
Former Pakistan cricketer and Bangladesh's new spin-bowling coach Saqlain Mushtaq (L) talks to head coach Richard Pybus during training at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium yesterday.Photo: STAR
Naimul Karim

Bangladesh's preparation for the upcoming ICC World Twenty20 received a boost as former Pakistani off-spinner, Saqlain Mushtaq, joined the team as a spin-consultant yesterday.

The 35-year-old, who earlier worked with the likes of New Zealand and Australia, is set to spend the next four months working on the country's spin department. "There's no doubt about the quality of the bowlers here. They're doing really well. But it's my job to work on the rough edges and further improve their standard," said Mushtaq.

Bangladesh would hope that Mushtaq's addition to the camp strengthens their spin-attack, an aspect of their game they are heavily dependent upon. "The philosophy of spinners is the same. It doesn't matter if you're a slow-left armer or a right-arm spinner, your basic aim is the same," said Mushtaq.

The bowler who brought the doosra into the world of cricket believes that given the right amount of preparation, the Bangladeshi cricket team can do wonders in the upcoming world cup.

"In T20 cricket, every ball is an event. It's a faster game and you've got to grasp the situation very quickly. You need to control your thoughts, your belief… and there shouldn't be any doubt regarding any delivery that you bowl. Yes, it's a different formula, but that's cricket after all," said the legendary spinner. He also claims to have devised techniques that would help bowlers master the doosra.

Mushtaq also had special praise for Shakib-Al-Hasan and claims to have followed his game the last couple of years. "He has been performing so well! He is the team's main bowler and I am looking forward to working with him." The team management, according to Mushtaq, is currently focussing on various strategies with an aim to excel in the T20 world cup.

The former Pakistani bowler will now work alongside bowling coach Shane Jurgensen and head coach Richard Pybus till the home series against the West Indies this November.

The national players' immediate assignment is the tour of Trinidad & Tobago where they will play a T20 tournament under the banner of BCB XI, after which they will travel to Sri Lanka to play the ICC World Twenty20 starting from September 18. Then, after a long break the Tigers will return to longer-version cricket when West Indies arrive in Dhaka in November to play a full series.

"I have good memories of this place; I toured here a number of times during my playing years. I am honoured to be a part of the Bangladeshi cricket team today and I hope I can churn out some good results," said Mushtaq.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=246169